Saturday, August 15, 2009

Before the Memories Fade: Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton

I caught up with Congresswoman Norton in her Capitol Hill office on August 13th. Even though Congress is out of session, Rep. Norton's office was bustling and her staffers were hard at work. I'd like to again thank her for taking time out of her busy schedule for my interview. This was a fun interview for me because growing up in the Washington, D.C., area I have watched her fight to become D.C's House Representative. She was also one of my last television news interviews before I started doing production full time.

I must say I was very happy with the shot that I set up for Rep. Norton's interview. It's a very pretty shot with beautiful colors and she looks good in it. The interview itself was very interesting and even became emotional at one point when she talked about her time in Jackson, Mississippi. She was shown around by Medgar Evars, hours before he was assassinated. "It is impossible to recount what I felt."

On what she thought about the youthful participation in the movement, she said: "Sometimes you have to be a little foolish to do some of the things we did by facing guns with non-violence, but change in our society is far more often propelled by young people with a new vision for our country."

Here's a fun fact for you: In the 60s, Rep. Norton sported an extremely large afro, which, looking back at photos, was very stylish and cool.

To find out more about Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton: http://www.norton.house.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment