Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Before the Memories Fade: Dr. Benjamin Hooks

On June 16th, I had the honor of interviewing Dr. Benjamin Hooks at his home in Memphis, Tennessee. Dr. Hooks told me interesting stories about working with Dr. King during the movement. He also shared with me stories about his personal peril when shot at and chased in a car by angry white southerners.

The interview went well, and I'm looking forward to talking to him again on another possible project. We also talked about his father who was a still photographer. His face lit up as we talked about the early days of film and how his dad use to light flash powder to make the flash.
The interview and discussion was fun and I'm thankful for it.

For more information on Dr. Benjamin Hooks, try http://benhooks.memphis.edu/ , search his name on the internet, and look at his bio on Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment